My rule: Play nice. Comments (moderated) are welcome, but I will not let anyone post something I deem as mean-spirited.


I've consolidated my Cub Scout helps, printables, and ideas at www.CubScoutLove.blogspot.com. (Since I'm not an active scout leader I have left the materials up but I don't continue to maintain that blog.)

Monday, February 24, 2014

Book Review: Unwind, by Neal Shusterman

Unwind (Unwind, #1)Unwind by Neal Shusterman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read this at the request of my teenager and frankly was pleasantly surprised. The premise is that in the future, abortions are illegal, but parents can have their children "unwound" between the ages of 13-18. It's explained to Unwinds that they keep "living," just in a different form. What happens to all the parts of a person? Does the soul continue exist even if it's spread out all over the world?

The premise is very cool and thought-provoking, and the pacing and writing style are similar to "The Hunger Games," but it's not as dark and violent. I'd definitely recommend "Unwind" if you enjoy young adult lit or "Hunger Games." (It's also a stand-alone novel, so you don't have to deal with a sequel, which seems to be the exception to the norm these days. Update: There are now two more books in this series, but this novel can be read without continuing on.)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment