My rule: Play nice. Comments (moderated) are welcome, but I will not let anyone post something I deem as mean-spirited.


I've consolidated my Cub Scout helps, printables, and ideas at www.CubScoutLove.blogspot.com. (Since I'm not an active scout leader I have left the materials up but I don't continue to maintain that blog.)

Monday, February 24, 2014

Book Review: To Say Nothing of the Dog, by Connie Willis

To Say Nothing of the Dog (Oxford Time Travel, #2)To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a really crazy book but ultimately a fun read. Imagine a mash-up of "The Importance of Being Earnest" and a Carl Sagan book on time-space theory, and you have this wacky result.

Historian time travelers in the future are being sent back in time to try to rescue an atrocious piece of Victorian art called "the bishop's bird stump" before it is destroyed in a Nazi air raid. The time travelers intersect missions, are sent to the wrong place/time, and basically mess up the time-space continuum, as a comedy of manners unfolds in Victorian England. Yes, it really it THAT hard to try to summarize this book.

Because I'm not really scientifically minded, I felt like I was too dumb to "get it" for the first probably 50 pages, but as I plugged through, everything was explained. If you decide to read it, first read the summary on the book or other Goodreads reviews and have faith that you'll get what's going on soon! I really enjoyed it.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment