My rule: Play nice. Comments (moderated) are welcome, but I will not let anyone post something I deem as mean-spirited.


I've consolidated my Cub Scout helps, printables, and ideas at www.CubScoutLove.blogspot.com. (Since I'm not an active scout leader I have left the materials up but I don't continue to maintain that blog.)

Monday, February 24, 2014

Book Review: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, by Michael Chabon

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & ClayThe Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

After reading so many trashy Pulitzer winners, I was so charmed by this throwback to a more innocent age...the age of the dawn of comic books. The premise sounds so ridiculous and yet the novel really takes this this topic and makes it sing!

Aside from the occasional four-letter words, which seemed to increase in number the deeper I got into the book, I was really enjoying it until a surprising turn that is central to the plot. I felt betrayed at that point. I wished I could have stopped reading the book right before that and been satisfied. Alas, I just had to finish the book, skipping liberally as I went along. Everything worked out satisfactorily in the end, but I was disappointed to find that it really was just another Pulitzer author obsessed with sex. (2001 Pulitzer Prize winner)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment