My rule: Play nice. Comments (moderated) are welcome, but I will not let anyone post something I deem as mean-spirited.


I've consolidated my Cub Scout helps, printables, and ideas at www.CubScoutLove.blogspot.com. (Since I'm not an active scout leader I have left the materials up but I don't continue to maintain that blog.)

Friday, January 24, 2014

Book Review: The Source, by James A. Michener

The SourceThe Source by James A. Michener
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Maybe I picked the wrong Michener book to start with. It did not work for me on several levels.

First, his characters were almost one-dimensional, they were so flat. The reader is expected to fill in the gaps in all the relationships: feelings of animosity or chemistry and attraction between characters really isn't depicted. You just have to assume that it is there.

Second, okay, I know I only got into it like 100 pages, but everything I saw was told instead of shown. Bo-ring. I learned that one in 8th grade.

Third, what I thought was going to be a really fascinating story about an archeological dig was wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am over in a couple of chapters. I thought that was going to BE the entire book. Instead, it turns out it was just a setup for the actual book, which takes each of the artifacts they conveniently found in a matter of a few short pages and then turns each of those into their own section, a moment in history that is then fleshed out for us to see how the artifact lived in its original life.

So I don't disagree with that idea as a literary device--actually, it seems pretty cool--but the lead-up was so disappointing that I felt like it'd fallen flat before the "story" even began. And it started with cave men. Seriously? I just felt like I was stuck in a BC comic strip. It was too hokey. I found myself dreading picking up the book each time and repeating to myself, "It will turn around soon, just give it time, it will get better," and then one day I said, "Know what? Uh-uh. Not worth it."

If you think I am away off base then tell me which Michener book I should read instead. At this point I don't know whether I will take your advice seriously or not, but hey, at least you could feel better knowing you tried to convert me to Michener's fan club.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment