My rule: Play nice. Comments (moderated) are welcome, but I will not let anyone post something I deem as mean-spirited.


I've consolidated my Cub Scout helps, printables, and ideas at www.CubScoutLove.blogspot.com. (Since I'm not an active scout leader I have left the materials up but I don't continue to maintain that blog.)

Friday, January 24, 2014

Book Review: All Creatures Great and Small, by James Herriot

All Creatures Great and SmallAll Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I can see why this has been such a popular book for many years, and I'm glad I finally read it. Herriot has a charming and unpretentious voice, and although a vet by trade in the mid-20th century, he is a natural storyteller. In fact, that's all the book is--chapter after chapter of mostly standalone animal stories.

They run the gamut of emotions: poignant, sweet, tender, laugh-out-loud funny, thoughtful. I read one chapter to my animal-loving teenager, and he stole my book to read on his own and really enjoyed it.

If you're among the initiated here, I must say that thanks to this book, if I ever get a small dog, the name "Tricki Woo" is right up there at the top of the list!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment