My rule: Play nice. Comments (moderated) are welcome, but I will not let anyone post something I deem as mean-spirited.


I've consolidated my Cub Scout helps, printables, and ideas at www.CubScoutLove.blogspot.com. (Since I'm not an active scout leader I have left the materials up but I don't continue to maintain that blog.)

Friday, January 24, 2014

Book Review: East of Eden, by John Steinbeck

East of EdenEast of Eden by John Steinbeck
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Why, oh why, did I read this book? It's undeniably a masterpiece, but I can't get Cathy "The Monster" out of my head now. The characters were superb. Their life stories were fascinating and epic. Now that I've "experienced" the novel I want to study some side materials to really glean everything out of it--and then I can let it go.

Truly, I think I would have preferred to read the "Cliff's Notes" of it, so that I could get the feel of the book without having to read the whole thing. It's beautiful, painful, brilliant literature...but I can't say that I liked it. I can't read any more Steinbeck; it's too depressing.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment