My rule: Play nice. Comments (moderated) are welcome, but I will not let anyone post something I deem as mean-spirited.


I've consolidated my Cub Scout helps, printables, and ideas at www.CubScoutLove.blogspot.com. (Since I'm not an active scout leader I have left the materials up but I don't continue to maintain that blog.)

Friday, January 24, 2014

Book Review: Catching Fire, by Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Sorry...I didn't like this one! It was a very unsatisfying read. First, it was such a blatant "Act 2" in a trilogy with no resolution. It may as well have said "to be continued" as the last line. There ARE series with books that can stand alone, but this isn't one of them.

Second, I find Katniss more and more unsympathetic as the story goes on. Frankly, I almost wish she would just get killed off since she is such a whiner. I actually haven't connected with any of the characters--I don't feel like any of them are really three-dimensional.

Third, I really hate spending time in the depressing world of these books! It's like living in a nightmare. The book actually did give me nightmares the night after I read it. And last, it's just not entertaining to me to read about people trying to outwit each other in a grisly battle to the death.

I realized partway through this book that Suzanne Collins is the author of the "Gregor the Overlander" books. I tried a few of those and enjoyed her storytelling style but ran into the same issues of frustration at the books being unable to stand alone. I felt then like she was stringing the reader along. If I had known this was the same author, I honestly don't know if I would have given this series a try because of those same concerns. I'm not sure if I'm up for reading the third book...when she eventually gets around to writing it!! Thumbs down for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment