My rule: Play nice. Comments (moderated) are welcome, but I will not let anyone post something I deem as mean-spirited.


I've consolidated my Cub Scout helps, printables, and ideas at www.CubScoutLove.blogspot.com. (Since I'm not an active scout leader I have left the materials up but I don't continue to maintain that blog.)

Monday, August 25, 2014

Book Review: The Tales of Uncle Remus, by Julius Lester

The Tales Of Uncle Remus: The Adventures Of Brer RabbitThe Tales Of Uncle Remus: The Adventures Of Brer Rabbit by Julius Lester
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This review is of an audiobook, which is perfect, because I tried reading the original and the dialect was so complicated as to make it unreadable. The reader does a beautiful blend of modernizing the narration with the original dialogue, so you get the feel of the original stories without what we think of as the offensive dialect.

I feel like the Brer Rabbit stories are an important part of our nation's history--besides just good fun--and wanted to share them with my kids. They couldn't get enough of Brer Rabbit's exploits even when I tired of them! What I didn't realize was how much Bugs Bunny is like Brer Rabbit. I'd like to find out more about if Bugs Bunny was modeled on him.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment