My rule: Play nice. Comments (moderated) are welcome, but I will not let anyone post something I deem as mean-spirited.


I've consolidated my Cub Scout helps, printables, and ideas at www.CubScoutLove.blogspot.com. (Since I'm not an active scout leader I have left the materials up but I don't continue to maintain that blog.)

Monday, August 25, 2014

Book Review: Sacred Hunger, by Barry Unsworth

Sacred HungerSacred Hunger by Barry Unsworth
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Don't let the title put you off. This is one of my favorite books. "Sacred Hunger" refers to the way the British felt about the slave trade. They felt that they were doing the Africans a favor by sending them to a "better life" of slavery in civilization. They would have the opportunity to leave their life as savages behind and convert to Christianity. And as a result of profiting from the slave trade, Britain would grow in power and financially.

Although it's set in such an intriguing historical setting, it's truly the characters that drive this book. I am one who can read a book and completely forget it within a few years. This book has stayed with me from the first time I read it. I have now read it probably 4 times. I warn you, you won't be able to put it down! Highly recommended.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment