My rule: Play nice. Comments (moderated) are welcome, but I will not let anyone post something I deem as mean-spirited.


I've consolidated my Cub Scout helps, printables, and ideas at www.CubScoutLove.blogspot.com. (Since I'm not an active scout leader I have left the materials up but I don't continue to maintain that blog.)

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Book Review: Wonder, by R.J. Palacio

WonderWonder by R.J. Palacio
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'd heard a lot of buzz about this young adult book, but even so, it was different than what I'd expected. It's kind of tough to explain. If I say it is about a year in the life of a fifth grade boy, born with significant facial deformities, going to public middle school for the first time, I can hear your collective, "ohhhhh," and see your grimaces. It's not that kind of a book, believe me. Yes, there is some wincing involved, but my overall takeaway was one of hope, understanding, and compassion.

This is a Book in the truest, best sense, one that takes the reader completely into another's perspective and lets us experience life through that person's perceptions and realities. It's led to lots of moments of reflection for me as I ponder my place in humanity and my treatment of others. R.J. Palacio has created lovely, honest, absolutely believable characters who transported me to their world as I read. This is a book to be savored by teens and adults alike.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment