My rule: Play nice. Comments (moderated) are welcome, but I will not let anyone post something I deem as mean-spirited.


I've consolidated my Cub Scout helps, printables, and ideas at www.CubScoutLove.blogspot.com. (Since I'm not an active scout leader I have left the materials up but I don't continue to maintain that blog.)

Monday, February 24, 2014

Book Review: The Help, by Kathryn Stockett

The HelpThe Help by Kathryn Stockett
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is what a 5-star book looks like! Everyone was recommending it to me and now I know why. It's a beautiful story of white Southern women and their black "help" at the dawn of the Civil Rights movement. The relationships are complicated and completely believable. I felt like I had a front row seat looking into the lives of real women. The author's epilogue at the end was sweet and made me understand the book on another level as she detailed her life experience. Although it's a fairly long book, I read it quickly because it was hard to put down.

My only caveat is the scene with the hobo. I understand it as a device to draw the characters together, but it seemed gratuitous, and some of the details were definitely unnecessary. You may disagree, but I thought the scene could have been set up differently and have the same plot effect.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment