My rule: Play nice. Comments (moderated) are welcome, but I will not let anyone post something I deem as mean-spirited.


I've consolidated my Cub Scout helps, printables, and ideas at www.CubScoutLove.blogspot.com. (Since I'm not an active scout leader I have left the materials up but I don't continue to maintain that blog.)

Friday, January 24, 2014

Book Review: Divergent, by Veronica Roth

Divergent (Divergent, #1)Divergent by Veronica Roth
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

The concept behind the story is original and intriguing, but after that it's downhill into a paint-by-numbers, sappy, dystopian YA novel. The audience level seems pretty squarely in the junior high range, but I was uncomfortable with the lifestyle of the main character's group and the way the novel romanticized things like how fun it is to make stupid and reckless decisions. I was also uncomfortable at times with the violence. And when it got to the point where two teenagers who can hardly look each other in the eye are talking about how they hope to have sex someday--seriously, don't get me started.

This is the first book in a series, so you are committed once you start. Don't bother unless you have a teen who is dying to read this and you want to read it also so you can discuss it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment