My rule: Play nice. Comments (moderated) are welcome, but I will not let anyone post something I deem as mean-spirited.


I've consolidated my Cub Scout helps, printables, and ideas at www.CubScoutLove.blogspot.com. (Since I'm not an active scout leader I have left the materials up but I don't continue to maintain that blog.)

Friday, January 24, 2014

Book Review: Desert Solitaire, by Edward Abbey

Desert SolitaireDesert Solitaire by Edward Abbey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a beautiful portrait of the Utah wilderness, a season frozen in time (1968) through Abbey's eloquent prose. He is at turns radical, outspoken, introspective, saucy, irreverent, and eerily prophetic. His voice is refreshingly honest and his writing beautifully poetic. I could feel his passion for the earth on every page.

I have wanted to read this book for a long time and am glad I finally did. I enjoyed taking my time meandering through it, but I don't think I'd enjoy having Edward Abbey over for dinner. I love the wilderness too, but I disagree with some of Abbey's fundamental beliefs, and we'd just argue all night and spoil my appetite!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment