My rule: Play nice. Comments (moderated) are welcome, but I will not let anyone post something I deem as mean-spirited.


I've consolidated my Cub Scout helps, printables, and ideas at www.CubScoutLove.blogspot.com. (Since I'm not an active scout leader I have left the materials up but I don't continue to maintain that blog.)

Friday, January 24, 2014

Book Review: The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas

The Count of Monte CristoThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book has been on my to-read list since college, but I kept forgetting to read it. So when I was given a second-hand copy (with the Sparks notes) recently, I knew I just had to sit down and do it.

What a fun read! I guess I was expecting the stodgy, old-fashioned language you get in the British classics like "Jane Eyre." Not this book. It was translated and abridged about 100 years ago, so the language itself is quite readable, and it was quick and easy to "get into" this book.

It was helpful to have the Sparks notes handy since the plot and characters are every bit as convoluted as the best daytime dramas out there--in fact, I'd say more so. The book made more sense to me when I learned that it was published as a weekly newspaper serial, so that explains its length (more chapters=more money!) and also some of the irrelevant twists and turns. I'm sure it kept its original audience eager for more each week. Sometimes I had a hard time putting it down too!

Even if you don't like the "stodgy old classics," I think you'd really enjoy this one.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment