My rule: Play nice. Comments (moderated) are welcome, but I will not let anyone post something I deem as mean-spirited.


I've consolidated my Cub Scout helps, printables, and ideas at www.CubScoutLove.blogspot.com. (Since I'm not an active scout leader I have left the materials up but I don't continue to maintain that blog.)

Monday, August 25, 2014

Book Review: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, by Mark Haddon

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-TimeThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book should, frankly, be required reading for anyone who has or will come in contact with people with autism--essentially, all of us. Told immaculately and concisely from the point of view of a young man with autism, it often spoke more to me by what it didn't say. It was a sweet and poignant novel of growing up and the pain that change causes this young man. I was also moved by the stories beyond the narrator--particularly the incredible strain it is on parents to raise an autistic child and the toll that takes on their relationship to each other and the world. This is a beautiful and thought-provoking book that I basically read in one sitting.

Language alert: Although it's no "Catcher in the Rye," the book has some pockets of profanity, including a liberal sprinkling of the "f" bomb.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment