My rule: Play nice. Comments (moderated) are welcome, but I will not let anyone post something I deem as mean-spirited.


I've consolidated my Cub Scout helps, printables, and ideas at www.CubScoutLove.blogspot.com. (Since I'm not an active scout leader I have left the materials up but I don't continue to maintain that blog.)

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Book Review: The Continuous Atonement, by Brad Wilcox

The Continuous AtonementThe Continuous Atonement by Brad Wilcox
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A very readable, thought-provoking essay on the the atonement of Jesus Christ. I just read it and am now going back through and journaling my thoughts because it gave me so much to think about.

Brad Wilcox makes sure we know right up front that he intends to "comfort the afflicted" instead of "afflict the comfortable" with this book, and I truly was comforted and inspired to consider the great eternal love the Savior has for me and for each one of us.

I appreciated gaining new insights through my reading as I pondered on my temple worship experience and considered the many rich symbols of the Savior's atonement that are all around.

I highly recommend this book. It would also be an excellent resource to study this month in particular as we approach Easter and since the focus for the LDS youth curriculum in March is the atonement of Jesus Christ.

There are too many wonderful quotes in this book, but I would like to leave with one here:
"Such a continuous work requires a continuous enabling power. It requires more grace than can neatly be diagrammed, graphed, or charted on whiteboards, or found in a concise sitting of contractual responsibilities. Such power is found by going beyond defining parts and instead forging a relationship with God and Christ that is greater than the sum of the parts. When we finally do pass through the veil that separates us and the celestial kingdom, it will not be as individuals who have done our parts. It will be holding hands with Jesus. On that sacred day, there will be no 'He and I,' only 'we'" (p. 120).

Okay, okay, one more!

"About a year after the death of her husband, a widow was asked, 'When do you feel like Christ stepped in and made your burden bearable?'
She responded, 'Was there ever a time when He wasn't shouldering the whole load? There were never two sets of footprints in my sand--only one, and it was always His.'
Who is bold enough to assume that there has ever been a time, however short, when we were not being sustained by Christ? We may not have been aware of His grace, but it was there" (p. 110).

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment